Cycling & Aggressive Drivers
WE HAVE ALL SEEN 'EM - THOSE DRIVERS WHO LOVE TO THREATEN CYCLISTS!
All too often, motorists threaten cyclists by:
- honking repeatedly
- swerving near or towards the cyclist
- passing the cyclist with just a few inches to spare
- yelling obscenities or insults
- throwing objects from the car
Cyclists can report these aggressive drivers by dialing the Colorado State Patrol *CSP (*277) line from their cell phone (the call is free). This line was created for motorists to report aggressive drivers, but it has since been approved for use by cyclists, too.
When dialing Star CSP bicyclists should be prepared to communicate:
- Vehicle license plate number - this is mandatory
- Location and direction of travel
- Vehicle and driver description, if possible
- The aggressive driving behavior being demonstrated
Motorists who are identified three times through the hotline receive a warning letter and any additional complaints result in a personal visit from a uniformed officer.
More information is available at Bicycle Colorado's website here.